26 October 2008

Okwesigwa Kwaawe (Great is your faithfulness)

Chorus:
Okwesigwa kwaawe, ai yesu, bukya bukya kuloho
koona eki ndukwetaaga
omukono gwaawe, taata, gukakimpa

Your faithfulness, oh Jesus, is always, is always there
All that I need, your hand, father, gives me

1. 
Ekyanda n'enjura
Ekiihe n'kasambura
Izooba n'enyunyuzi
byoona nibyatura okwesigwa kwaawe

Dry season and rainy season
Planting and harvest
The sun and the stars
All proclaim your faithfulness

2. Okuganyirwa ebibi
N'obusinge obwikaraho
N'okubaho kwaawe
Byoona bingarramu amaani

The forgiveness of sins
Peace everlasting
Your presence
They all encourage me

3.  Niiwe onyebembera
Niiwe kunihira kwange
Emigisa yaawe
Iwe wenka, niiwe wagimpaire

You are the One guides me
You are my hope
All your blessings
You only, gave them to me

It's not the "Great is thy faithfulness" that I'm used to, but it's much more fitting for the people and culture of Bundibugyo.  We sang it in church this morning and it's one that people know really well and the harmonies are really beautiful.  The first verse references to the dry and rainy season and planting and harvesting and the sun and the stars take on a whole new meaning here...these are real challenges and real beauties of life here, they are real evidences of God's faithfulness. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If only we could have audio clips! I'd love to hear this song.
H