31 July 2010

I miss...

Asalah - her laugh, her macaroni and cheese, her ability to remind me of the truth when I've lost sight of it, her enjoyment of NCIS, her tolerance of me and my crap as my prayer partner, the way she twirls her hair when she's thinking about something or nervous, her endearing tendency to switch syllables of various words she strings together in absolute hilarity...
Nathani- his "bachelor garden feet," his tugging on the shoulders of his tshirts when he's concentrating in the kitchen, his knack for making me laugh, his bat removal - rat and ant killing expertise, his african english, and priceless gems such as "how much does a matutu cost?" and "but how am I going to hold my headlamp?"
Salah - her big strong hugs, her stopping by after school to chat about the news of the day, her uncanny ability to remember little random tidbits of information, her enjoyment of calculus, her vast knowledge of the chickens and goats of BGO from her favorite end of the month meetings, her cravings for take out chinese, her LOVE of spiders, her always wearing socks to wednesday morning prayer...
Scotti - his ability to produce AND consume large quantities of baked goods and to convince others to do the same (ahem...anna linhart...), his singing as he comes into the ward in the morning, his great clinical judgement, his example and reminders to me of how to love people well, his ability to get Agnes to do air guitar in her pink nurses uniform...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So they say that when you're trying to grieve well, one of the ways to do that is to name the things you're grieving. So, this is a cursory attempt for me at starting that process...so yep, I miss these guys. not the functions they served here in Bundibugyo so much, but their persons (hear "pah-sons"), their quirks and endearments...and the lists could go on...and on...and on...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Heidi (hear "Ida") - thank you for writing and posting! I laughed out loud numerous times while reading your posts. I think I even woke up my neighbors with all my laughter (mostly thinking about Agnes busting out the air guitar and how influential Anna is when it comes to sweets!!). Oh the joys of memories and people so dear to us!!!

Ashley Wood said...

Heidi, just quickly running through blog post headings in trying to catch up after traveling for three weeks and saw this....miss ya too friend. Will catch up soon, hopefully this week will be a little calmer but a good chance there will be a fair bit of traveling in it to. Oh man...