09 January 2010

Arrest (Part 5: Friday)

sister.
da girls :) (these are a bit out of order, forgive me)
coffeeing up - did you know Carrie likes to drink coffee?
The river above the falls - the point in the lower left hand corner is the top of the falls, so the water from the whole width of the river funnels down to that small point and what power!
That small point - the top of the falls
the middle of the falls - can you hear me? "please carrie jo - don't get any closer!"
The bottom of the falls.

Friday 1 January 2010 - 6am alarm goes off and we climb out of bed and head to brush our teeth. the camp still quiet but starting to wake up as people head out for game drives and such. The post with the sunrise picture from this last week - the photo was from this morning. Quite a way to start the year, and quite a way for God to respond to my discouraged heart the night before. We drove out of the camp about 6:45am or so, headed for the top of the falls where you can hike and see the falls from several view points. Not sure how long it would take us, we headed out early and got there with only one other car parked in the lot. There are not really any railings on the rocks...one could just walk to the edge and fall or jump off and be toast...but I love the thundering of the water through the rocks, the wild uncontrollable nature of the water - reminds me of the coast of Maine when I was a kid. The water is anything but arresting actually, but I was indeed arrested in awe. We were there early enough that we avoided the $10 cost of the short hike and on the way out ate our pineapple that we got to go from Red Chili.

Next stop, sister Claris. The district where she lives and works is Luwero which we pass through on the way back to Kampala. She's been trying to talk me into visiting for as long as I've known her and I thought this was the best opportunity I would have, and better yet that my sister visiting from India was here. After "bush, bush, bush" we found her quiet, beautifully kept compound with convent and health center. Probably the cleanest health facility I've ever seen here in Uganda - not at all suprising though, she runs a pretty tight ship. "The impossible has happened!" she exclaimed as she came out of the gate to greet us! She fed us lunch even though we arranged that we would eat along the way, we laughed, she gave me a hard time for saying "sorry" so much, and after a few hours we got on our way to Kampala. Sweet time.

After an early dinner at Lotus (complete with mojitos and margaritas) we headed to maf for the night. A great day for starting the new year.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Heidi, What a wonderful adventure in God's amazing world. I thoroughly enjoyed your posts and photos. It was a bit like I was on the safari with you. Thank you very much for doing the work (that was considerable, I know) to share it with us. Your blog has been a real gift in my week. Thanks again. Blessings on you. Judy in HMB