01 February 2010

a few photos...

I don't often just post pictures of everyday life so here are a few...

The BundiNutrition store at Nyhuka Health Center...white bags packed and stacked on the flats? Beans in 20c allotments for motherless patients. The words painted in white around the border of the blue wall thanks to Pat Abbott? Isaiah 55:1
"Come, all you who are thirsty,
come to the waters;
and you who have no money,
come, buy and eat!
Come, buy wine and milk
without money and without cost."
Teamwork. Assusi (white uniform), Olupah (dark shirt to A's left), me and Scott Will teamed up to serve/process/screen the 30 or so patients who showed up one day last week for the NuLife program (provides Plumpynut to HIV+ and other severely malnourished patients). It's so fun to work together on these kinds of things when we have the luxury of multiple staff present :) (and makes everything go so much quicker!)
Me and my bud Kato. He's got pants on today, usually that's not the case. His twin Isingoma is a nutrition patient, but Kato (2nd born) does pretty well for himself (interesting considering it's usually the older twin who traditionally does better). We're both sharing a bit of a "deer in the headlights" look at the moment.
dead monkey - found Christmas eve in the pool at the bottom of the Ngite falls when 3 Myhre kids and Anna and I took my sister up...a bit (ok, more than a bit...) concerned about why this monkey died and therefore it's potential effects on our health (the rumor is that the Ebola outbreak 2 years ago started in a monkey), I made everybody get out of the pool of water pronto. Scott and Jennifer didn't seem too terribly concerned (for which I was relieved). Merry Christmas!
Yes, that's a couch...on the back of a motorcycle...no problem. This is why I felt it was reasonable to get on the back of one yesterday with my huge red duffel bag stuffed to the gills and 2 other bags, plus me and the driver...no problem.
Interesting shot by Carrie...The HOME paintings I brought with me to Uganda, with several items that help me enjoy my little home in the foreground...gin & tonic with frozen mango slices instead of ice cubes, a Bombay bottle turned candle holder, more candle holders, and of course the little bowl for salt (I am Kurt's daughter!)
A hilarious ad for a brand of beer that I saw at the hostel eatery at Mweya in Queen Elizabeth.

1 comment:

Maria said...

Thanks for your well-wishes, Heidi! Nat and I are both so thankful for everything we've thought of and learned by following your time there in Uganda. I hope, that when you are back in the states, we can all sit down over a gin and tonic (I liked the frozen mango idea) and you can share more with us. It's not an uncommon thing that Nat and I talk about how we feel drawn to medical missions (well, he does) and education overseas (me) in the future. Especially now as his residency is in the last year and a half. So, again, thanks for helping us think and pray globally.