20 February 2012

T-1

Well, tomorrow is the day. Tomorrow I fly into S. Sudan.

Hard to believe the time has come, and simultaneously feels like it's about time!

I'm ready to settle down after 2 months on the go. I'm excited to see my WHM Mundri friends and family. I'm excited to meet the S. Sudanese that will become my Mundri friends and family as well. I'm nervous about starting over in a new place. New language(s), new team, new way of life, new climate, new culture, new everything.

Nope, nix that. Not new everything. There is one thing that is the same. My God. Yesterday, today and tomorrow, He is the same.

On the flight from Philly to, well, what was supposed to be to London and ended up being to Amsterdam, I put my ear buds in and listened to my iPod for a bit before drifting off for a bit of sleep. When embarking on new things, I often like to listen to music that is rooted in my past, music that reminds me of my history, where God has brought me from, how faithful He is. We didn't listen to much Christian music growing up, but we did listen to James Ward. I have one of his albums on my iPod and the tears started to flow on the plane when Rock of Ages came up in the queue.

Rock of Ages, cleft for me,
let me hide myself in thee;
let the water and the blood,
from thy wounded side which flowed,
be of sin the double cure;
save from wrath and make me pure.

Not the labors of my hands
can fulfill thy law's commands;
could my zeal no respite know,
could my tears forever flow,
all for sin could not atone;
thou must save, and thou alone.

Nothing in my hand I bring,
simply to the cross I cling;
naked, come to thee for dress;
helpless, look to thee for grace;
foul, I to the fountain fly;
wash me, Savior, or I die.

While I draw this fleeting breath,
when mine eyes shall close in death,
when I soar to worlds unknown,
see thee on thy judgment throne,
Rock of Ages, cleft for me,
let me hide myself in thee.

Nothing in my hands I bring, simply to the cross I cling. Rock of Ages, cleft for me, let me hide myself in thee.

The other anthem for this phase of life is this old Spiritual I grew up singing:

I want Jesus to walk with me:
I want Jesus to walk with me;
all along my pilgrim journey,
Lord, I want Jesus to walk with me.

In my trials, Lord, walk with me;
in my trials, Lord, walk with me;
when my heart is almost breaking,
Lord, I want Jesus to walk with me.

When I’m in brouble, Lord, walk with me;
when I'm in trouble, Lord, walk with me;
when my head is bowed in sorrow,
Lord, I want Jesus to walk with me.
The Spiritual Emphasis speaker at the CMDA conference in Kenya kept saying, "If you remember one thing, remember that before your feet hit the ground in the morning, ask God, "Can I walk with you today?'" I suppose I do agree that life is more about us walking with God than Him walking with us, but you get the idea, right? Me and God. Walking the roads of S. Sudan together. A friend in Philly had the same image as she prayed for me. Seems like a good one.

Coveting your prayers.

1 comment:

Lee said...

See from FB that you have arrive. I am sure the team is very excited. Glad you are there with that great group of folk. Will be praying for you and your new life there