12 June 2014

discombobulated

I don't think this is an actual thing, but the word *looks* like it's definition.  or is it me?
like a visual onomatopoeia.
l o n g. short and TALL. complicated AND simple. jumbled.

this is what I get for not writing in far too long.

maybe it's what paradox does to you when you don't talk about it.

so, let's get that out of the way right here.

Grief AND Gratitude : the unbelievable/indescribable sadness that is ALS AND the unbelievable/indescribable gifts that are encountered along the way

Hope AND Doubt/Fear/Inattention : those squeaks that come from your heart singing when it comes upon something it longs for AND the squeaks of the brakes that is your heart backpedaling in doubt / fear of disappointment / and scramble for inattention.

Fast AND Slow : the pace of life...where did the day go? There was no time for pondering AND there was nothing on the calendar.

just to name a few.

paradox = tension...balance...walk the line...discomfort AND settle...rest...kick back...Confidence...

it's not something I particularly like, but it seems to like me.  Bundibugyo? Mundri? Hotbeds of paradox.  it's not something I'm unfamiliar with.  yet it discombobbles me every time.  but naming it, helps.  saying the words helps (which of course requires the work of coming up with the words in the first place).  describing where it's visible, helps.  the work is worth it.

{ worth it. }  the entirety of a text I just got from a friend to whom I was failing to describe my discombobulation adequately.  a response to my { I don't know...but I'm trying to pay attention }.

I often wonder about the narcissistic side of this whole blogging thing...especially when I'm not globe trotting around the world, experiencing exciting new things / people / places / cultures / smells / tastes ...and settling into life amongst them.  but, the longer I'm alive, the more I realize that this life is so very commonplace.  the things we get ourselves steeped in and convinced we're alone in - are really actually so very common.  yes, they are remarkable - worth remarking about - interesting / valuable / engaging - but also so very common - we're all human and at the core of our lives, though they may look very different on the outside, are such common processes / thoughts / loves / fears.  I think that's why I write publicly, because people tell me "me too!" and it normalizes the whole bit, for both of us.  Because in this season, telling each of you these things over an iced beverage in the humidity of a sidewalk cafe, isn't possible.  And if you want to read, you will, and if you don't, you won't.  And, like I said, for me, the work of naming it is worth it.


so here's to writing more often...






2 comments:

Judith said...

Dear Heidi, Thank you for your always honest sharing. This is a heroic time for you as you enrich your mother's passage through the end of life and at the same time a period of most intense grief for you as she suffers this horrifying disease. If this paradox IS NOT making it hard to breathe, then you would be a mythic creature. I am losing my brilliant wonderful husband of 43 years to Alzheimer's disease, which puts me in a somewhat similar position, but I have been losing him for nine years now and the worst is over. I have been praying for you and will continue to do so, I pray that you will care for your mind and soul as well as your body, Do everything that helps you. You are part of the communion of saints. You do make a difference because the kingdom is a little closer when you and I are in good shape. My heart aches just thinking of your loss and suffering. May God strengthen your heart and mind and give you peace and comfort, In hope of the resurrection. Judy in HMB

Sunshine said...

Hi Heidi,

I feel happy when you write because I worry when you don't.

Cheryl Goddard