08 November 2007

Koinonia

Hello out there! Welcome to my blog. This whole blog endeavor has so far been fun, but when it comes down to writing a post it seems quite daunting; usually that's not the case for me. Written words are usually the easiest form of communication for me. I think it's the permanence and the public nature of the web that seems to scare me. I hope this doesn't remain the case, my hope is that the more I write the more free I will feel to be myself. So, I'm starting early.

As I prepare to leave the US I've been thinking a lot about how I can be in touch with all those I know and love here while I am in Uganda. That's where Koinonia comes in. I was talking with my friend Caroline about support raising and how I feel strongly about my work in Uganda being a partnership between me and those at home supporting me financially, emotionally, spiritually, and otherwise; I can go and be their hands to the people of Uganda. Caroline, being the bright seminary alumnae that she is, mentioned to me that this idea I was describing sounded similar to the Greek word "koinonia" used in the New Testament. You'll see several of the ways the word is translated into English under the title of the blog. All of these ideas are in some way what I hope and pray my work in Uganda will be and what I hope and pray this blog will accomplish while I am in Uganda. For instance, I hope that my work and this blog might be a means of fellowship and communication between the US and Uganda despite distance, that my work and this blog might create new associations for people in the US in regards to Africa and Uganda and vis versa, that my work and this blog would be a distribution and sharing of resources and knowledge between the two countries/peoples.

It seems like a tall order but I'm excited about trying. I'm excited about what God will do.
I'll be posting some from the States before I leave in January, and hope to post as often as I'm able from Bundi.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

congratulations on launching your blog....there are a lot of launchings for you right now....your life is looking like a beautiful fireworks display to those of us watching....Doug

Anonymous said...

I have been blessed reading your blog and prayer emails. I'm excited for you as I read your future team members' blogs too. Thanks for keeping your hopes and desires for this work before us.

Mrs. Parnell