27 November 2007

MTI

Safe and sound in CO Springs.  I arrived yesterday afternoon for 3 weeks of preparation for cross cultural life and work.  I'm one of 27 adults and a dozen or so kids here at MTI, with a view of the mountains and clear blue skies and cold winds.  We've had introductions and orientations and we've quickly gotten into some pretty insightful stuff.  The two things of note are: 

  • Paradox: the existence of two opposing things at the same time (the Heidi paraphrase).  Evidently in this life I've embarked upon, this is necessary to learn and to live and to communicate, ie. the sadness of leaving loved ones/the comfort and familiarity of home and AT THE SAME TIME the excitement of doing this crazy thing and going to Uganda.  It's hard for me so far, real hard.  But maybe it gets easier with time (I doubt it).  

  • "You will be drawing with your weak hand for the next 3 years."  To know that now is really refreshing.  It's weak, it's amusing, it's embarrassing, but it's good to know now.

I'm glad I'm here, I think it's going to be really good, but I'm missing being at home...everyone blogging about Christmas decorations and trees and lights and music is making we wish I were at home.  I mean they have a couple trees and wreaths and lights and all here but it's not quite the same...geez, it's going to be a long 2 years!

Also, it really is sinking in that I'm not working anymore...everyone here asks where I work as a nurse and I have to say, "well, I did, until a week ago, work at St. Louis Children's Hospital."  A shout out to all my friends on 8East, I miss you guys!  I'll have to post a little bit about my last couple of days at work here before long.  Until then, try drawing with your weak hand, it's pretty fun!


No comments: