21 October 2008

Lamps

are one of the things I miss about life in the States.  I think it's something I inherited from my mom, but I really don't like overhead lights...especially when they're naked fluorescent bulbs dangling from the ceiling...we use them because they're energy efficient or something of the sort, and last longer, and, well, all kinds of practical reasons I'm sure, but in the end this is one instance in which my priority is something other than the most practical option.   

I have been trying to think of an alternative to turning on the overhead fluorescent bulb in the main room in my house just to have light to type by, and one evening, after eating by candlelight the answer suddenly dawned on me...If I can eat by candlelight, why can't I type by candlelight too?! So, here I sit as I type, with a single flame next to my computer (I know I know, not all that safe for by little mac book, but I'm being careful!) It's quite lovely, actually.  A fantastic and very elementary solution to a simple preference issue.  

(I should really not be complaining about such things, the girls are having solar battery issues and have no power at all right now, so they're doing EVERYTHING by candlelight.)


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have the same strong lamp affection! Sometimes I'll sit in near darkness rather than turn on the overhead light, and that's even with nice old fixtures in our house. In college, someone once noticed that Katie and I had 5-6 lamps in our tiny little dorm room--it's what made it homey to us.
H
PS This makes a lot more sense of one of your last IKEA trips and hanging all those new under-the-cabinet lights, etc.

Anonymous said...

This makes me smile...Heidikins, her mac and candle light.....
love you,
ma