14 October 2008

security

So, you know how I said I get potential blog post build up? Well, one of the remedies is to just write about stuff as soon as it happens (which only works if you have time - and I have 18 more minutes of internet time as of right now so we'll see if this works).

This just happened about an hour ago.

I'm walking back from the girls' house next door after a fantastic dinner (including a round of pre-dinner drinks - yeah gin & tonics - for most of the adults - sorry girls) with the Pierces who have had a really stressful few days. I even have my torch (er, flashlight) which I don't really need because the moon is so bright, but my fear of running into a snake keeps me toting it along with me anyways. I'm rounding the corner of the planter that runs along the front of our house approaching my door and I almost tripped over two sets of darkly clothed feet/legs. I peered around the corner with my torch and found them to belong to 2 UPDF soldiers lounging infront of my door...For sure almost peed my pants...which I realized as I was getting ready to take a shower was not actually pants, of course, but rather a skirt...but "almost peed my skirt" doesn't really work very well I don't think...I greeted the two camoflaged men and asked if there were any problems around and in true Ugandan fashion they assured me there were not. (Well then why the heck are you sleeping at my front door?!?!)

We heard earlier today there might be some rebel activity going on across the border and security is getting stepped up around here, but usually that just means soldiers on the mission, not soldiers at my front door...and it's not everybody's front door, just mine. I guess my front stoop is particularly comfy, I dunno. Usually when UPDF guys are around they're on the mission - camped out in an open space up near the workshop on your way from our houses up to the community center/church. We've gotten used to being on the look out for them sleeping here there and everywhere on our way back from Myhre's on Thursday nights, but I was surely not expecting to find them sleeping at my front door, that's for sure.

No comments: