09 November 2008

almost forgot

The week has been such that I almost forgot to make the announcement that I got word this week that my Ugandan Work Permit has been approved!!!!!!  This is a big deal.  After 3 or 4 "special passes" to hold me over, after a 48 hour blitz trip to Kampala with Jennifer back in June for a 10 minute interview with the Council, after completing the required 2 months in Kampala by myself working at Rubaga Hospital, after about a half dozen trips to the Ugandan Nurse and Midwives Council, after lots and lots of waiting to see people, waiting to be told to go and wait somewhere else, after learning to expect to wait and wait some more if intending to get anything done, after learning that not much gets done even when you do wait and wait some more, I almost have my work permit in my hands.  It either will be paid for or has already and hopefully it will come on a MAF plane with Masso's in a couple of weeks, just before Thanksgiving.  What timing.

Something else to be thankful for is Katusiime Jovia.  Katusiime is WALKING!  This precious little one is about 5 or so years old, has Cerebral Palsy and the last time I saw her could only scoot around on her bottom, shimmying around with little pushes from her feet in a "squat" like position.  Even when only able to scoot, her disposition was befitting of her name, "jovial" is a great way to describe her.  A beautiful face with little tufts of braids in ponytails bouncing around her eyes.  Today she waddled upright in a slightly broken but very toddler like gait and a huge smile on her face to try to join in with the women in the choir.  What joy this little one brought to my heart.  Her mother got up and praised God for the progress Katusiime has made, and what progress indeed!  TOTALLY made my week, maybe even my month.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heidi, that is awesome! African bureaucracy can seem so comical when you consider the context - you are there trying to get things done to help and serve them, and they just slow it down and complicate things. Irony at its best and worst. Thank you for loving Ashley and praying with her - you have been such an encouragement to her!

harryk said...

Praise God for His provision and for your perseverence through such an arduous process! And how wonderful to hear of the joy for Katusiime Jovia and for you all as she does something so many of us take for granted. Thank you for sharing the good news and getting Thanksgiving off to an early start.
"Like cold water to a thirsty soul, so is good news from a far country." (Prov 25:25)
Harry

mhb said...

Hi, my name is Meredith. I was an intern in Bundi in '06 and I came across your blog through the Myhre's. Your story about the little girl with cp touched me (I'm getting my degree in physical therapy and love pediatrics). Have you interacted with any PTs there in Uganda? By the way, Okwesigwa Kwaawe was my favorite song from church in Bundi and I still sing it to myself often!

Praying for you all there.
meredith