02 November 2008


Beautiful Dawn
(by the Wailin’ Jenny’s)

Take me to the breaking of a beautiful dawn
Take me to the place where we came from
Take me to the end so I can see the start
There’s only one way to mend a broken heart

Take me to the place where I don’t feel so small
Take me where I don’t need to stand so tall
Take me to the edge so I can fall apart
There’s only one way to mend a broken heart

Take me where love is not for sale
Take me where our hearts are not so frail
Take me where the fire still owns it’s spark
There’s only one way to mend a broken heart

Teach me how to see when I close my eyes
Teach me to forgive and to apologize
Show me how to love in the darkest dark
There’s only one way to mend a broken heart

Take me where the angels are close on hand
Take me where the ocean meets the sky and the land
Show me to the wisdom of the evening star
There’s only one way to mend a broken heart

Take me to the place where I feel no shame
Take me where courage doesn’t need a name
Learning how to cry is the hardest part
There’s only one way to mend a broken heart

So I’ve been feeling pretty broken these days, broken as in “needs fixin’,” broken as in “not whole,” broken as in “not solid,” broken as in “weak.” Weakness is not looked on favorably around here, not by Ugandans and certainly not by us Americans. This is the kind of place where you have to be at the top of your game all of the time…the top of your relational game, the top of your spiritual game, the top of your work game, the top of your cultural adjustment game, the top of your flexibility game…and if you’re not – well you had just better keep it to yourself because everyone else is trying their best to be at the top of their game and you not being at the top of yours just pulls them down too…or at least that's the way it seems to me...

But I’m tired. I’m tired of trying to “stand tall” as the song says. I’m tired of trying to be the name of courage. I’m tired of trying to ignore the shame and smallness that I battle against everyday here. I’m tired of trying to buy love from those around me. I’m tired of trying not to fall apart.

I want a place where it’s safe to be broken, safe to be weak. But until I learn to look for this love and acceptance in my Father in Heaven, who runs to me on the road, his prodigal daughter, and throws his arms around me, I will continue to wallow in my weakness. So I ask, “Teach me how to see when I close my eyes, teach me to forgive and to apologize, teach me how to love in the darkest dark.”

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh cyber huggggggggggggs

It is hard when the honeymoon of an experience is over. When the reality sets in...it is palpable. In church today we talked about saints in our midst...those from the past,present and future.

To me, you are a saint in my midst.
I am here for you....if you need a visitor...let me know and I will plan a trip to Africa. If you need things ( gosh I wish my boxes would get to you )....I will send them (even with the crazy postage).

Hang in there Heidi...

Hugs,

Cheryl

Allison said...

hey girl,
know that i am praying for you!!! i am also going to have my classes continue to pray for you! i know i haven't e-mailed you back yet, but it is coming...and boy will it be a dousie (not sure how you spell that word!).
i love you, girl, and I know that the Father is using you even in this time of difficulty.
love and hugs,
alli

harryk said...

This is a valley of tears. If this life were all happiness and peace, would it not lessen our longing for heaven? No one is immune to the kind of feelings you have. When we're in distress, we often seek comfort food. And the psalms are like comfort food for the soul.

Why art thou cast down, O my soul? And why art thou disquieted within me? Hope thou in God: for I shall yet praise him, who is the health of my countenance, and my God. (Psalm 42:11)

For he satisfieth the longing soul, and filleth the hungry soul with goodness. Such as sit in darkness and in the shadow of death, being bound in affliction and iron; (Psalm 107:9-10)

For thou wilt light my candle: the Lord my God will enlighten my darkness. (Psalm 18:28)

It can be discouraging to compare ourselves to others but even those brothers and sisters who appear to pillars will (in honest humility) admit to feelings such as yours at various times. And we should all (especially me) remember 1 Corinthians 4:7 (For who maketh thee to differ from another? And what hast thou that thou didst not receive? Now if thou didst receive it, why dost thou glory, as if thou hadst not received it? )
No matter how great the faith of others, not one obtained it himself or herself. (Ephesians 2:8-9). May the Lord, the gracious Giver of every good gift and every perfect gift, give you His peace today. (James 1:17 and Numbers 6:26)

Harry

Anonymous said...

Dear Heidi, I believe that it is really tough at the moment in your part of the woods. Missing people, losing people, dealing with a really difficult culture, seeing misery and suffering all day every day. Is it also raining all the time, too? You are really one of God's helpers, so I am praying for you--that you get a big hug soon. I am praying HARD for that. I have had three people close to me die in the past six weeks--the last memorial was held Nov. 2 for a dear former foster child who was 32. But I'm sure that your constant losses there are even more draining. Sometimes, it's hard to understand what God wants us to learn except to turn to him. And I thought I was already doing that, so maybe my message is that I wasn't doing that well enough. The other possibility is that sorrow happens even in the midst of faith, and God just has to reach down and comfort us a little. Please pray for me, too. Judy in HMB

Anonymous said...

Hey Heidi
Megan Kelley PCA from Children's here so I have been reading your blog and have really been enjoying it you are such a great writer you bring the story alive and make me feel like I am there. So I noticed that you are feeling down!!! I can't even imagin what you are feeling but I wanted you to know that you are not in Africa by yourself you have brought Africa to so many here in the States. Hope you feel better and can't wait to read the next blog.
Megan