11 February 2009

funnies

a few laughs from the past week...

- you know it's a doosy of a monday morning when you're writing text messages before 10am that say "there is mutiny on the ward due to feces on the veranda"...true story (albeit a long one), no joke. You've gotta laugh!
- the little nutrition patient named Baluku whose emaciated-except-for-his-swollen-belly self was sitting on his bed during rounds, looking wide eyed and desperate, wearing only a tattered black leather jacket with a red furry collar...emaciated but doing it in style!
- the little snotty nosed, only wearing a shirt, toddler who while Sarah and I were walking up the road, slowed his/her gait and gazed up at us with a precious smile and greeted us with a high pitched, respectfully slow, "wesaiyo-eh!" Ah! Made my week.
- the remark I made last night when trying to recall the location of Scotch Whiskey production that I read about in the Economist..."is it in England?"...Nathan coolly replies "ah, Heidi, that would be Scotland...you know, Scotch?" Right :) I promptly took a sip and practically had an asthma attack while he and Pat watched me cough my head off and have a bit of difficulty breathing for the next 1/2 hour..."I'm okay, really I am"..."uh, I don't think you actually are" Nathan replies, handing me a glass of water...evidently me and Scotch don't really get along.
-explaining to the wife of a Christ School teacher that my bright red face after running, which I pointed out matched the red kikoy I was wearing around my waist...heaven forbid you leave the Christ School gate wearing pants with nothing wrapped around on top!...would in fact return to it's normal color after I cooled down a bit...silly muzungu.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Running with a wrap? Sounds kinda challenging. I was thinking of you while running at the gym this week, wondering if you ran in Bundi. It was considered weird enough when I did it in certain parts of Europe (SO undignified to wear umbros and an old t-shirt, you know, not to mention the red-faced sweatiness)...
H