22 April 2009

Oaster Roaster

That's what my dad used to call really hot days, hear "well guys, it sure is an oaster roaster out there today, isn't it?!" Today is one of those here in Bundibugyo...

- I just gave up on chasing a skink around my "diningroom" table, squealing and all (on my part of course)...a skink is like a snake with legs...looks like a snake and moves/walks like a lizzard...icky...I just don't like the idea of them (or the reality of them for that matter), especially not on the table for goodness sakes...but I can only waste so much of my hour of internet chasing the little bugger around the room...
- It was a bustling wednesday at Nyahuka Health Center today, a c-section and hernia repair were done in the theatre (operating room), the generator was run for oxygen for the twins born in the theatre - and all of this without any bazungu intervention...no money no direction no nothing...it was a beautiful thing for these eyes to witness :)
- You know that line from the movie Juno when her dad asks her where she's been and she says something like "oh, you know, just out dealing with things well beyond my maturity level"...well, today I was "out dealing with things well beyond my education level." Myhre's are out of the district for a few weeks and so I'm having to make treatment decisions that are well beyond my education level...a little 2 mo baby of an HIV + mom, the mom has mastitis or some kind of infection in/on her left breast, so within the last 10 days or so Jennifer wrote that the baby should not mix feed (breastmilk and other foods for supplementation) because of the increased risk of transmission of the virus if that is done, but to feed from the right breast only...well, the family says there's not enough milk and the child is crying all the time so they are mix feeding with casava porridge or something like that...and they've come to me to ask for supplementary food...which I'm can't do because mixed feeding is putting the life of the baby at risk, but the baby's life is clearly at risk if it's not getting enough milk...but is the option of weaning the baby from the breast totally a good option? no, not at all, but what is the best option? all of them put the baby's life in great danger...sheesh...and they are staring wide eyed at guess who?
- doing a little first aid at my front door with neosporin and bandaids
- trying to make sure that everyone's houseworkers have the appropriate keys and locks in the right places
- enjoying a glass of cold crystal light lemonade....yum...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Skinks? Yuck! Glad to hear you still shriek (makes me feel a bit better about my own reactions!). Praying for wisdom for your medical decision-making and for mom and baby.
Love,
H

lafunk said...

I know that tension well...both there and here. hope some solutions appear. you are good at thinking things through. So curious...who's doing the c/s?