28 April 2009

it was a bit early...

but it was worth it. Just what I needed to hear, in just the right way and at just the right time (albeit early). "Early" being within about 3 minutes of getting out of bed and stumbling over to my computer sometime between 7 and 8am.

"It" was an online text chat with a friend who hasn't walked "this" road exactly, but has been in situations similar to the ones that I have a hard time describing to people and somehow a smirk starts creeping across his face as I try because he knows just what I mean..."it" was in the context of likening cross cultural realities and adjustments and expectations to Jeopardy, ie. quiz questions and prize money increasing with the degree of difficulty of the question...it was a bit early for me to be thinking up such ideas or metaphors, but I was awake enough to get the gist. Then he said the following, which even at such an hour, totally struck a chord that resonated pretty deep in me,

"funny thing is, as i am getting older i am realizing that the prizes are more along the lines of learning patience, long suffering. and really fun stuff like that"

THAT'S JUST IT, I thought. Instead I said something very early morning, like, "ain't that the truth!" For someone who says he's not very good with words, those few cut right to the chase. I'm not sure if it makes sense out of context for all of you reading, but maybe it does. If not, maybe next time, but take it from me, it was brilliant. I had been having trouble putting words to this ever since I came back from the States one month ago, and particularly for the last couple of weeks...and there it was. Thanks again, Jesse.

1 comment:

Becca said...

It's so cool when someone else "gets" where we're coming from - and even cooler when they can further our understanding of that very situation. I'm glad for your early morning chat! (And I know how much you hate early mornings!! :)