03 May 2009

just another Sunday

- crawling from under my mosquito net at almost half past nine when I hear the "kody kody heidi" from my front door - a neighbor requesting malaria treatment for a friend who has had a bad headache for a couple of days and now achey joints...they tried the health center and there's no one around.
- pancakes and bacon and mango at Nathan's for breakfast
- church here on the mission - today's was a thoroughly lackluster service
(now, you might remember that all of the service save the sermon is in Lubwisi, so usually I tune out relatively frequently...it takes a lot of energy to try to follow a service in a language you don't know much of...but I read along in my english Bible when scriptures are read in Lubwisi, and today I thought they said they were reading from Acts 4: 20-25, and when I turned there the verses didn't quite match up neatly but sometimes they just don't so I read in that vicinity...but when the sermon came around it became clear that the chapter they were actually reading from was the 12th chapter of Acts...whoops...well, the 4th chapter around verse 20 seemed much more interesting so I did a bit of reading around there while he was talking about chapter 12...so it wasn't remotely close to what was preached on but I was encouraged...to pray for boldness.)
- tuna for lunch
- wrapping in a kikoy before going out to use the cho because God forbid I show the white of my legs in a pair of shorts...
- the usual 2 hours of sunday afternoon internet and the joy of receiving the official mama's report and photos of the arrival of a dear friend's firstborn..."for you, little one, He made the world" (from something my dad uses at Baptisms that I think he, with permission, stole from another pastor), and a phone call to the mama herself to hear her voice her amazement in the presence and reality of the little life that just a few days ago lived inside of her!
- not sure what the rest of the day will entail, but that makes for just another Sunday I think, just the way I like it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heidi,

I love those words of your dad's! I heard them in HIS voice as I read them on your blog. Beautiful!!! I need to remember this today.

love to you!
Bekah

Anonymous said...

Heidikins,
Your sister and I finished the race in your old home town of Philly...we tried to call you, but no answer. we love you, remember the Memorial Day Races in U. City?! I will try to call tomorrow because I will be en route to St. Louis.
ma

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you're enjoying well the arrival of a precious little one, even from afar. I, too, love your Dad's words--can't hear them without deep joy. There's a lot of mystery in baptism but those promises bring such hope. "...til you make it your own."
Hugs,
H
PS Know you were interested--E started on 8E today at SLCH.