20 June 2009

"you give me fever..."

"fever, in the mornin', fever all through the night..."

A little bit of Ray for ya here on this Sunday afternoon...my Ray Charles tribute to mosquitos and the "jift" they have given me in the last week and a half or so in a little something called Dengue Fever...at least that's what we think it is...fevers, exhaustion, muscle and joint aches including pain behind the eyes, a pretty impressive full body rash if I do say so myself (which turned petechial), and a few other symptoms I'll keep to myself :) Luckily the fevers only lasted about 4 days, (the rash only a few more) and ended about a week ago, since I've just been acting like an 80 year old woman (I also remember feeling similarly when I started playing high school soccer my freshman year in Cheltenham...sheesh, that was in 1993..., I had never run/played so hard in my life rendering me pretty much useless for several weeks except for soccer and necessities of life) ...moving around just takes a lot more energy and causes a bit more discomfort than I'm used to or prefer, joints/muscles still sore and swollen...I'm quite the sight walking out to the cho first thing in the morning, having difficulty walking in a straight line, dragging my legs up the stairs and sometimes it doesn't seem very likely that I'll ever make it up out of the squatting position ever again...alas, I somehow manage every time...

Let's see, what else is going on...

- There was an earthquake while we were in church this morning, always provides a bit of excitement to an otherwise very LONG (3 hours today) service
- I have a rat living in my house who may be dead now thanks to the poison scattered around the kitchen, but I won't know until I smell "the smell" that means nothing other than a dead animal is "in the house" :)
- The light in my bathroom has not been working for a week or two now, so I shower by headlamp at night, and never really know what I look like when I leave the house every morning because there's not so much light in there even during the daylight hours
- A couple nuggets of wisdom from Ugandan primary school education curtousy of our friend Naomi yesterday afternoon while we sat painting our toenails outside my front door:
"Eating is not a business"
"A mistake is not a disease"
- I have realized that I really love clinical nursing, bedside nursing, whatever you'd like to call it. I've also been realizing that I might like to go back to school...I think I could benefit of another round of A&P and other courses I took in nursing school - maybe a bit more advanced than the first time around...but I don't want to give up bedside nursing...any ideas?

Okay, signing off on this lovely Sunday.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh gosh, I was afraid you were sick or someting....hope you are back to 100% asap.

Cheryl