31 August 2009

beach in pictures

Our first meal together after 2 weeks of traveling in 4 different directions was Java House to go, eaten outside Jomo Kenyata airport in Nairobi before flying off to Malindi. Our destination: Turtle Bay Beach Club near Malindi on Kenya's Indian Ocean coast.
Me and Ash smiling for the camera on our little crop duster plane flight from Nairobi to Malindi...lost of pieces were missing (arm rests, air vents, etc), and then there were these random alarm sounds (which turned out to be a cell phone game the girl in front of us was playing)...so we just smiled, shrugged our shoulders, said "TIA!", and hoped that we got safely to our destination...
...and we did, demonstrated by this photo..the view from our beach lounge chairs where we spent a good portion of the week turning pages of all kinds of books, and doing absolutely nothing!
These are my fabulously talented teammates windsurfing (Ashley, Nathan and Sarah from L to R)...I was VERY impressed...there was no falling off, toppling over, or careening into anything that I could see, just a lot of gracefully gliding around the bay.
I didn't actually see this event take place (I was on one of my daily walks down the beach with my ipod in hand/ear - which had varying degrees of effectiveness as a communicator of "don't bother me" to all the guys trying to talk to you, sell you stuff, get you to go snorkeling on their boat, etc), but about 20 pictures of Nathan and the Somali's camel were taken with my camera, so I figured I should post at least one of them.
dress up night
Aida na Salah
The 4 of us after a week together at Turtle Bay Beach Club. We didn't kill each other, and in fact look pretty rejuvinated it seems to me, and mighty smiley for the fact that we were about to board our shuttle to leave the beach behind...

Jomo Kenyata International Airport Nairobi...on the way home a 5 hour layover turned into 10...it's a long, somewhat funny, story, but probably only if you were there, so I'll spare you...

P.S - Webaleh Ashley for so faithfully bringing her camera out to take photos of us doing whatever it was we were doing...most of these pictures are hers (webaleh jump drive).

2 comments:

Courtney Patch said...

oooh, so great!! Love the photos. and so glad that it was restful and rejuvinating for you. love you friend!

Anonymous said...

Can I just say you look stunning in that black dress! I miss you...would love to chat over tea or a home-cooked meal!!!