04 September 2009

Nairobi National Park

Mama and Papa - So, I'm posting pictures in descending chronological order...aka, I've started with the end of my 3 weeks of rest, and going backwards...so before Turtle Bay was a week in Nairobi (4 days with my parents, and then 4 days after they left). One of the highlights of the time in Nairobi was our day long safari around Nairobi National Park.
Lutjens' & Streits - My dad's cousin Jim and his wife Bev were our gracious hosts while in Nairobi, during one of the hardest periods of time during their 24 years in Kenya. My mom and I (dad playing photographer) with Bev and Jim.
Mom decked out for safari
You know how there are seasons for babies...lots of people you know having kids all in the same period of time? Well it seems the animals in Nairobi National Park were the same way, there were baby everythings all over the place it seemed...baby g-raffe (as I like to call them in honor of brother Jeff) as seen above...
....and baby zebra to document just a few
We only have zebra in one park in Uganda, and I've not yet been, so it's always really fun to see zebra in Kenya...their stripes are simply stunning...
Because i have to decrease the quality of the picture in order to post with our internet quality, I think this g-raffe gets lost in the color of the terrain, but watching them run is absolutely incredible!
This guy looks like God kinda got confused when he drew on the stripes...ended up with swirlies instead, but it just goes to show ya that each of us is unique, some just more obviously than others :)
I just like this shot of the g-raffe on the horizon...there were so many around the park it was so fun to see them. They also are only in one park in Uganda, where I have not been, so it's a treat to get to see them in Kenya, and so many of them!!!
There were so many g-raffe and so many zebra in the park this time, and most often they were together, and we decided that the spazzy, hyper, anxious zebra like hanging around the calm, peaceful, no-stress, tall g-raffe's for several reasons :)
And because of their obvious calm and seemingly peaceful temperments, my dear mother took quite a likening to these creatures, decided that like the zebra, she and g-raffe could be "splendid friends" :) Here she is trying to befriend one :)
"One Life, One Wife" - These are Crested Cranes, the national bird of Uganda, who interestingly enough mates for life, which makes for a great teaching tool for HIV/AIDS prevention in a polygamous society, a tool which Scott Myhre has taken particular advantage of in his Kwejuna Project marketing :) We have t-shirts from this last year with the picture of a crested crane and the above slogan :)
Like the zebra and g-raffe, rhino's are only in one place in Uganda, a sanctuary with only 8 of them I think, so it's cool to catch a glimpse of one of these monstrous animals even from a distance like this..who would have thought to create such a creature?!?!
Hartabeasts...heartabeasts (sp?)...not something I've seen before this trip.
The huge, oddly shaped antelope-ish animal in the middle is an Eland, also not something I've seen in Uganda. They're HUGE! More pictures will come in stages, there are a lot, so I'm pacing myself :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Heidi,

The pictures are go beautiful! WOW I just love your blog!!

Cheryl G ( SLCH )

Anonymous said...

Heidikins,
Am following your footsteps by taking on Pilgrim at Tinker Creek...slow but sure...I found a word that helps describe my feeling toward G-Raffs since our visit to Kenya....insouciant...which Webster defines as calm and unbothered; carefree....reading this book reminds me of reading John Dolan's Christmas letters!
ma

harryk said...

What wonderful posts and pictures! Thank you for pointing out the Lord's creativity with His creatures. "But ask now the beasts, and they shall teach thee; and the fowls of the air, and they shall tell thee:" Job 12:7