28 September 2009

feeling disconnected?

Make some cookies...I'm pretty sure that making cookies could probably solve most of the world's problems. It occurred to me just after writing the last post, that what I should do about feeling disconnected is to take a few steps towards connecting...you know how when you feel disconnected you don't really feel up to connecting? Well, that's where making cookies comes in and saves the day...so I got out the monstrous bag of chocolate chips that mom and dad brought me (thanks guys!), cut the flour by 1/4 cup, split the butter asked for with half shortening (to conserve on butter which is in short supply), took them out of the oven a few minutes before they were due, and took a plate full of hot cookies to the girls' house and to Nathan...I didn't even have to say more than "I made you some cookies" but it communicated much more (I think...I hope...maybe I was the only one benefiting from the communication, but it worked for me!). Now, it, of course, is also very possible that the several cookies worth of dough that I snitched along the way went a long way in curing my disconnection...the wonders of chocolate :)

2 comments:

Carol said...

Heidi, I was just catching up on your blog. I loved the photos you posted of your parents' visit! And I, too, just received Mountains Beyond Mountains from the library. Have you read Three Cups of Tea. Wonderful book. I think we will be seeing your dad this weekend. And Tara and Mike are coming also. Mike's 10th West Point reunion.
Love, Aunt Carol

Anonymous said...

Your middle name is Jeanne. Maybe that is why you connect with making chocolate chip cookies.... memories of delicious chocolate chip cookies make me want to bake some.
ma