28 December 2009

Christmas Cheer

It was the weekend before Christmas and we (Anna, Scott Will, and I) were eager to add as much Christmas cheer to our days as possible. We happened to be in Kampala to shop and pick up my sister during the performances of the Watoto Church (formerly KPC – Kampala Pentecostal Church) Christmas Cantata, so Sunday morning we got up early and were out of the guesthouse by 7am, arriving in time to get good seats and beat the crowds who filled the 8am service performance sitting on the floor in the isles!

Quite the production I must say! Tuxes, formal gowns, brake dancers, Christmas carols including a rendition of O Come O Come Emmanuel that left me with goose bumps, and a funny narrator cast as one of the angels announcing Christ’s birth. The narrator was thoroughly Ugandan…the accent, the inflections, the exclamations…and it was during his description of the scene when the angels announced Christ’s birth to the shepherds, as he waved his arms and shook his hips describing the singing and dancing that went on that night that I realized again just how much my white western upbringing affects the way I read scripture, and imagine history…I have only ever imagined the angels sang classical choral music as they lit up the night sky…you know, Bach, Beethoven, Handel…who says they weren’t beating drums and shaking their hips with voices in African harmony? That whole scene with the angels and the shepherds has been quite poignant to me this Christmas…

Then as the homily of sorts, the pastor quoted S.M. Lockridge from a 1976 sermon preached in Detroit, reminding all of us of who exactly it was that the angels announced the arrival of:

“His office is manifold. His promise is sure. His light is matchless. His goodness is limitless. His mercy is everlasting. His love never changes. His Word is enough. His grace is sufficient. His reign is righteous. His yoke is easy and His burden is light. I wish I could describe Him to you... but He's indescribable. That's my King.”

Oh, right! That’s what we’re supposed to be about…that’s who our eyes are to be fixed on. Refreshing light bulb moment. I left the auditorium reminded that even in a dusty, hot December in Uganda, Christmas is what it is regardless of the continent or weather.

The next day we got into the Zoolander, packed to the gills with stuff, and drove through the day, out of the city and eventually rolling into Bundibugyo mid-afternoon…getting out of the car the back of my pants were soaked with sweat, my hands were quivering with the post Bundibugyo road shakes, and within 10 minutes of closing the door after unloading the car someone was knocking on the door wanting to tell me their problem (ie. ask me for money)…welcome home Heidi, and Happy Christmas!

No comments: