12 March 2010

the face of HOPE

What does hope look like? Is it a flicker in a woman’s eyes? Is it measured by the width of a smile? Does it heighten as a child puts his/her shoulders back and stands a bit taller? I’m not really sure, but I know it when I see it, and upon my return to Bundibugyo I have found it alive in our community here in ways that it has not been for what feels like a long while now.

My time at home in the US was everything it needed to be, quality time of memories, goodbyes, and closure with extended family, laughs around the kitchen table with my immediate family – all 5 of us!, long strong hugs from people I love who somehow love me, cups of hot tea and cocoa while curled up on comfy couches and chairs accompanied by heartening conversation, holding precious babies, sleeping in, and the list goes on…It wasn’t eutopia, but it was just what I needed, just when I needed it. More quality time in one week than I had in a whole month last time I was home…miraculous! In any case, I’m not sure if it’s because I am well rested and glad to be back, but I see hope where I haven’t before.

• I see it in John and Loren’s countenance when I stopped by to greet them and drop off a few groceries. I hear it in their voices as they give me the brief synopsis of their month of work and relationships and challenges and joys.
• I hear it in Scott and Jennifer’s voices as they talk about Luke’s college interview visit, and the new gas cylinders for the immunization fridge at the Health Center, and the way the term is progressing at Christ School.
• I see it in Nathan’s expressions as he talks about Med School acceptances and kids’ stories from the Pediatric Ward at the Health Center.
• I feel it in the air as Ashley and Anna bustle around the house getting ready for school, and come back at the end of the day with smiles and stories.
• I hear it in Travis and Amy’s stories of their first days and weeks of life in this place, of people and places and creatures and words and smells!
• I felt it in the hand slap of the Christ School student named Immaculate who subbed in for me in the Women’s Day football match this week (CSB girls football team vs. CSB female staff/Mission women).
• I see it in Assusi’s eyes even while she tells me her frustrations with lack of cooperation among staff at the Health Center.

What does hope look like in your today?

No comments: