15 June 2010

Taking Public: Vol. 3

The road is being widened in preparation for paving (so they say). The Asian contractors (Chinese, I think I’ve read) directing large machines and vehicles, building for office/housing space quickly constructed for the project off to the sides. We rock and roll up and down through the switchbacks as we cross the mountains. I had never before heard the term “acute corner” pronounced “acute cohnah” by the Kalita Inspector lady who had taken a seat across the aisle from me. Well, it reminds me of the medical term “acute abdomen.” I don’t really remember what an “acute abdomen” means exactly, other than the fact that it’s no nonsense – time to get the patient to a surgeon pronto or the patient could die! Well, an “acute corner” is somehow similar and feels a bit like the bus you are traveling in is going to topple…like you need to get the bus back down with all 4 wheels on the ground or else people are going to die. Often occurring often in switchbacks, caused by too much speed, not wide enough angles for turning radius? I don’t know, but whatever it is an alarm goes off on the bus…and then when all 4 tires meet the ground again, it turns off…twice this happened…nothin’ like a little excitement. I notice that the forest covering the mountains has a sweet smell of sorts…kind of like the smell I imagine on a diabetic’s breath who is in ketoacidosis…but I digress…

The excitement continues when we reach flat ground again after descending from the mountains. Now the driver is convinced he can do anything now that he got us down through all of those switchbacks, so he puts the pedal to the medal and we reach speeds no vehicle should ever reach on a dirt road…I grab onto Anna’s leg at one point as a boda approached and no decrease in speed seemed to be in the plan, and she tells me of a fatal accident scene she and other teammates passed on that stretch of road several months ago with mangled vehicles and blood in the road…ai yi yi!!! As I inhaled deeply when we passed the boda, I noted that the rainforest here on the other side of the mountains has a different smell from the forest on the mountains…the rainforest smells like…dirt. Now believe it or not, this city girl does in fact know what dirt smells like…and loves it!

We are approaching Bundibugyo town at dusk, my favorite time of day…the mountains are lit up in the hues of the setting sun, the clouds above them pink like cotton candy…an awesome glimpse of the red ball of fire setting in the west…sheesh this place is beautiful!

“You give me money!” said the first boy I saw when I stepped foot off the bus in Bundibugyo Town at 19:00. Welcome home, Aidah. After my momentary ideals of a beautiful place where everything is happy came crashing down with that statement, I saw Lamech’s smiling face, a comfort for sure, honored by his willingness to help us get transport to the Mission from town with all of our stuff. “It’s no problem. I thought you would be reaching late and I know what happens here” he said.

We pulled up in front of our house as the last moments of the sun’s light was fading away. “Do you have the house key, Anna?” “Oh shoot!” Saved by the combination lock!

The End

Take home: Taking public was overall a good experience and I would do it again. Beats driving the whole 8 hours any day!

No comments: