18 August 2010

Filling in the blank...Sunday

** sorry for drawing this out, but I warned you, a lot went on in a span of 4-5 days, so bear with me!**

Sunday:

Wuh hoo for days of rest, for being creatures that require rest/sleep to survive, for alarmless mornings, for pancakes, for American Garden Pancake Syrup that’s less than 2% maple syrup.

Not so much of a wuh hoo for dogs who get out of the fence and go missing at various times requiring search parties of various kinds (todays was a pajama wearing sort of search party)…

Wuh hoo for Kapu who LOVES Bhootu (the Johnson’s dog) and took him for a walk this particular morning and took off in a run every now and again for Bhootu to chase him (just like Americans do with their dogs), for the freedom to skip church and worship at home when moving and the energy to pay attention for 3 hours sounds impossible, wuh hoo for Redeemer NY sermons online that we can download for free as WHMers, and most of all…

Wuh-hoo for the guy that found Chloe in a PIT LATRINE and found George at church to tell him, and wuh hoo for George who got Chloe OUT of said pit latrine which was thankfully empty!

Wuh-hoo for Loren Clark’s Reuben Roll hot out of the oven for dinner. Wuh-hoo for babies who fall asleep on my shoulder. Wuh-hoo for the Count of Monte Christo. Great movie. Wuh-hoo for nights to chill and catch up with teammates.

And the understatement of the century: Not so much of a wuh-hoo for returning home to find that your house has been broken into and that your passport, ATM card, drivers’ licenses, and health insurance cards are gone along with a large sum of money and the 3rd of Anna’s blankets to be stolen in 2 months!!! Absolutely infuriating actually…

Details:

OK, so I could wax eloquent (or attempt to) on the subject of theft, and cultural value systems, and the intricacies of my emotional reaction and the like, but the truth is that it’s nothing I haven’t already said before. I’ll just leave the report to the facts:

Sunday night at midnight we return to find someone had: opened the screens, reached through the windows, used curtain rods to fish my messenger bag into their reach. 2 wallets containing the already mentioned items, a small pouch that was a gift from my dear friend Margaret containing personal items, my sunglasses with their case, and the blanket and top sheet from Anna’s room were stolen.

After tallying the damage, I set off in tears with my phone in hand to find the night watchmen to report to them what had happened. I found none of them at the workshop, none of them at the Myhre’s, and on the way down found the UPDF sleeping at the worshop who I greeted and reported the problem to. Rubbing his sleepy eyes (it was midnight and I had woken them up from their sleep on the concrete floor of the porch of the workshop), one of the 4 soldiers told me his name was Asiimwe and that he wanted to assess the situation and look for the watchmen who they had yet to see since they reported that evening.

We showed Asiimwe what had happened and he and I went up to try to find the watchmen in the Johnson’s kitubbi, but alas, they were not to be found. I went back home, cried some more, went to bed and cried some more.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Heidi,
I'm crying, too. I can feel how exhausted you were, how much you needed the few loving moments of down time, and how cruel it is that the lovely time ended in another assault--That your precious, sorely needed goods are stolen, and then, final insult, you are forced to embark another set of tasks and notifications instead of having a well-deserved restful end to a difficult period.
I am praying hard for you all. Judy in HMB

wendyallison said...

Father please protect Heidi's heart as she has be so violated. Help her to trust you...not this place or these people. Please Father, touch the hearts of those in the community to right this wrong and bring pressure on the thief to return to Heidi and Anna their belongings.