01 March 2012

new digs...

So, finally some pictures - hopefully prove I am really here, and yes it really is dry season. I think Karen took some pictures of my arrival on the MAF flight, but I've gotta track those down sometime soon.

The residential side of the compound: dry season and post bush fires about 2 weeks ago. My dukul (tukul is the local word for house or hut or something of that sort - and since these are duplexes of sorts, the team dubbed the structures: "dukuls" :) - mine, shared with the lovely Larissa Wolowec) is the one in the foreground on the left with the stunning magenta Schwinn in front. also mine :) Jennifer D: your dukul is the one just past ours in the distance on the left. just to the right of the small tree in the middle: the latrine/bathing rooms (more detail to follow). John S: In the distance on the right is the dukul waiting for you to make it home. Note also the hammock on the right. Seems to be the place to be on hot nights under the stars. Me and hammocks don't really get along (imagine Heidi flipped upside down suspended prostrate from the hammock as she hangs on for dear life as her nose nearly brushes the ground...yep, pure grace, folks) but I perch myself in a bwamba chair and enjoy my own view.
"the shire" as it has been dubbed prior to my arrival - the dukul I share with Larissa
common space in our dukul looking at the front door. the doorway into my room is just past the shelves on the right, just to the right of the front door
I can take no credit for the loveliness of the common space - but I will enjoy it :)
my room (looking at the front door)
my room has never and will never be tidy enough to be a pottery barn catalog (or anything even remotely close - just ask my mom and my roommates!), but look how cozy it is :) has felt like home since day 1. so thankful. Designed by the lovely Christine Olmeda, the first inhabitant of the room. Note the blue cushion on the left which is a window seat :)
the latrine/bath house (which by the way, has two sides, each of which has a latrine and shower rooms)...the side shown is the "girls' side" closest to the girls' dukuls...
it's about enough of a mirror as I can handle in the morning, crazy hair and all :)
behind the door on the left: the squatty potty. remove the wooden cover with the handle, position your feet on the cement blocks, squat, and well, do your business. Note the TP. not to be taken for granted - not to be found in just any pit latrine.
behind the door on the right: I scintilating shot, I know, but gotta cover it all, you know :) The shower room, much bigger than shown - nice big rack for shampoo and razors and such behind where I'm standing.
the back side of the team house: facing the "residential" portion of the compound. complete with porch and bwamba chairs from Uganda - I imagine perfect for sitting and watching the rain I hope will come one day :) taken from the front door of my dukul.
team house kitchen: after eating/living all together for several years it was decided that both the Masso's and the singles' needed some space. Now the team eats together on wednesdays and sundays, and the rest of the week the singles use this kitchen and the Masso's have their own (much smaller scale) in their house. Note the deep freezer AND fridge on the left wall - both solar powered.
living/dining space in the team house. table built to seat 12.
the home of Michael and Karen Masso (our team leaders) and their kids (Acacia - 14 and away at RVA, Leana - 12, and Gaby - 9.5)

So, there you have it. The long distance, virtual tour of part of the WHM S. Sudan compound...

the physical space feels like home, the relational "home" will likely take a good deal longer. do pray that I would learn to demonstrate love to my teammates well, be bold in doing it, and that the Lord would knit us together in a way that ONLY He could manage - with much grace and mercy in abundance.


4 comments:

Bethany said...

Hi Heidi, Thanks for sharing the pictures of your new digs. Your room looks very cozy. Praying for you as you settle in. Love from the Lomelino family.

Courtney Patch said...

amazing!! so glad to know what to picture you when you talk about home there. i love the windows. and the island in the kitchen space is amazing. and I seriously think that is one of the tidiest looking squatty's i've ever seen. love the cover for it! is that to keep animals (snakes?) out? (i won't tell jeremy)

Jennifer Fancher said...

Thanks for the tour! Now when I pray can picture you there, yay! It is pretty, the windows especially.

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much, Heidi, for being there. I am thankful for your blog which helps me pray for all who are in need in that great land.
Peace, Kerry