13 May 2012

mama

A bit out of season but just as happy as ever :)

“Heidi, if I can do it, you can do it.”
This is what my mom told me when I was a junior in high school and considering pursuing nursing but doubtful that I’d be able to hack it.
“Remember Who’s in your boat!”
This is what my mom called after us as we ran out the door to school in the morning.
“Just have fun out there!”
This is what my mom used to yell from the sidelines at my softball and soccer games (while dad, sitting next to her, yelled “keep your eye on the ball!” or something of the sort:)
“I’ve got too many birds on my wires”
This is what my mom says when she’s got too many things rumbling around in her head.
“Aloha!”
This is what my mom said when she greeted a church full of folks at a seminar in Bundibugyo...(the morning greeting is pronounced “oh-ligh-yo”)
“Are you drinking enough water?”
This is what my mom says every time I talk to her on the phone, and when we reported to her feeling sick when we were small.
“How’s your heart?”
This is my mom’s other go-to question on the phone - after she has determined whether I am adequately hydrated or not.
“It’s ok to cry.”
My mom on the appropriateness of emotional expression.
“Just call me smooth Sue.”
My mom dreaming she’s someone else :)
She’s got the best mom-ears in the world - whisper at the door to their bedroom that you’re having a bad dream and she’s awake and out of bed in an instant - meanwhile dad is still 3 sheets to the wind...although I think maybe she’s outgrown this skill with lack of opportunities to use it for, say, the last 15 years or so.
We fought most about 2 things: me practicing the piano and her brushing my hair (take notice of the differences in our hair the next time you see us together...ouch ouch ouch!)
She has this incredible ability to see things from other people’s perspectives - and have it lead to an increased measure of compassion for them, even if they behave unbelievably hateful towards her.
She loves to camp.  Loves, loves, loves, to camp.  Tents, lean-to’s, cabins, rain, bears? bring ‘em on.
She loves to have her kids all together.  It doesn’t happen all that often anymore, well, for obvious reasons, but she just soaks up every minute.
She’s got classy taste in most things.
She frequently gets home from the grocery store and realizes she’s left an entire bag of things she bought there at the store...it makes her blood boil but I think it’s hilarious :)
She’s a GREAT cook even though she hates to be in the kitchen.
You can tell when she’s been baking - every cabinet door is open and there is flour on every surface of the kitchen.
She loves being a Family Nurse Practitioner (from womb to tomb as they say :).  AND she’s pretty darn good at it, too.  You have a bazillion chronic diseases, no job, no health insurance, no money and no support system? She’s your woman!
She’s quite a lady and I love her very much.
Here’s to YOU, mom.  Hug from afar!

4 comments:

deborah said...

I love this! Your mom sounds like a wonderful woman.wc

Anonymous said...

A lovely tribute to your mom. I laughed out loud at quite a few. I love her questions about water and your heart! I, too, think that being well hydrated solves a multitude of problems. That and protein!

love to you, dear Heidi and to your mom as well!
Bekah

Barbara Elwood said...

You do have an amazing mom -- I agree! What a lovely tribute to her.

pat abbott said...

Heidi this is a sweet tribute to an amazing woman! I laughed out loud too. Hey you didnt tell the Bioch story, next year! love p