24 July 2008

Facade vs. reality

So, here in Uganda, there's the facade of what reality looks like or seems like, but then there's the usually less favorable reality of what really exists. For instance, when you're in Nyahuka at the market and you walk into Iddi's store, there's a soda fridge in the left corner, usually stocked with sodas...hmm, you think to yourself, I didn't think there was power in Bundibugyo...you would be correct...so, in fact there is a fridge but it does nothing except serve as a storage location for sodas, there is no power and therefore no refrigeration, and therefore no cold soda in the market in Nyahuka. But the first time I walked in there and saw the fridge I got all excited about the prospect of a cold soda before I remembered Bundibugyo is "wireless" :) Alas, no cold soda for this sorry newcomer.

But this same notion repeats itself over and over again, you go to a hotel or hostel that says they have hot water and you get all excited and leave the water run for forever and realize there is in fact no hot water. Well, my experience in Kampala has proved to be the same...power, hot water, refrigeration, etc...there's the facade but not always the reality :) I've tried to have the attitude of "well at least I have power sometimes :)" or "well, that hot shower last week was pretty nice" but it's not always the first thing that comes to mind when I really feel like watching a movie or am really looking forward to a hot shower and find only cold.

Mail reality: Some of you have asked about a snail mail address but because I think the Center really only has a PO Box, and I'm not sure if you sent anything that I'd even be sure to get it before I leave in 6 or 7 weeks, I'd say the best thing to do is to send whatever you'd like to the Bundibugyo address and the teammates coming to Kampala throughout the time I'm here can bring whatever is there for me (right teammates?! :)

Email reality: There is an internet cafe where I live, with a sign that lights up and everything, but there's very little successful email checking going on there as of recent. So, my goal is to check/send email every saturday at least, so if you're not hearing from me, that's why...it's gonna be a slow process...okay, well, that's enough, I've spent a lot of time at the computer today and I'm getting weary of it...but the quick wireless connection has been heavenly I must admit.

No comments: