02 May 2008

He who makes the blind to see, the deaf to hear, the lame to walk...

He's the one in whom and through whom I do anything at all...

Today I almost started crying during rounds. Yes, rounds on the Pediatric ward, not with Jennifer Myhre as is the usual routine, but with another nurse and a medical student who needed to get some work hours in or something who agreed to do it every so often while Jennifer is gone. We were standing by the bed of Jennifer Lubabo, maybe 4 years old (I tend to be several years off in guestimating ages here), who has been on the ward for a few weeks now. She came in unconscious as far as I remember, seizing and stiff, eyes closed/cracked open without sign of the lights being on inside. She got IV valium, antimalarials, antibiotics, UNICEF formula, and was started on TB therapy last week or so...This week, her eyes are open, but I don't think they work like they did before whatever this sickness is closed them some weeks ago...I don't think she can see.

Her mom says she responds to her call, so she knows she can hear, but when you stick something infront of her face and right up to her eye she doesn't blink until it touches her eyelashes...I don't know if it's a result of whatever illness caused her seizures, or if it's a side effect of the TB meds, or if the two are related, or any number of things, but I feel completely helpless...I can't speak to her or her mom other than to greet them, I don't know anything about RHZ and it's side effects/antidotes to it's side effects...

But the rock solid truth, the only thing I do know, is that my God can make the blind see, the deaf hear and the lame walk...He can make Jennifer see again or he can give her what she needs to live without sight; He can make her speak again or he can give her mom what she needs to care well for a daughter who cannot see or speak...

Come quickly Lord Jesus!

No comments: