04 May 2008

rest ahead!

This coming saturday Pat and Sarah and I are leaving the district and heading south to Lake Bunyoni and Bushara Island for 5 days or so. I hear it's really restful, kind of a wooded, lake environment with cabin-ish dwellings called banda's. And I've heard it's COOLER there than it is here and right now that's just what I need. We'll drive there and stay for the 5 days or so and then head to Kampala where we'll spend a week I think...a week of urban life, ie. restaurants, good internet connection, grocery shopping, and probably smog and bad traffic and all that too :)

Needless to say I'm looking forward to the break. We were originally going to head to Tanzania to Kilimanjaro and see Abby Havens in Moshi, but it was gonna be quite pricey...a bit more than this missionary can afford for a vacation! Plus, you can take the Heidi out of the Lutjens' but you can't take the Lutjens out of the Heidi - budget travel all the way :)

Oh, I almost forgot, the real kicker behind the decision not to go to Kili was I don't so much have a visa right now :P My tourist visa expired on 4/28 and I found out a few days before that that my application for a work permit was being held up in red tape shenanegins and I've been asked to show up for an interview with the Ugandan Board of Nursing (or the equivalent) before they'll consider my application any further...crap crap crap...I knew something like this was gonna happen...so, until I get a "special pass" it's not so much a good idea for me to try to leave the country if I have any intentions of getting back in...

Anyways, less than one week before down time! Wuh-hoo!

1 comment:

Phvern said...

Hallelujah on your vacation, and we will be praying for your Visa. If God wants you to stay, it will work out! (this is when our Calvinism comes in handy)