02 May 2008

How hot?



Really hot. So, I just looked on my map of Uganda hanging in my room and here in Nyahuka we are JUST ABOVE the equator, but in the grand scheme of things I live ON the equator. Lots of people have asked just how hot it is here, so yesterday as I was walking home from the health center at about 2pm, in the blazing sun I thought to myself "I'm gonna stick my alarm clock out in the back yard in the sun to see just how hot it really is here." So I marched into the house and out again, this time via the back door after grabbing my alarm clock from my bedside table. This is one of those super nifty alarm clocks that has a thermometer in it too, AND it converts from Celcius to Fahrenheit and vis versa; bravo REI (or Casio or whoever it is that makes it :)...anyways, so I left the clock/thermometer out in the middle of the back yard in the grass in the direct sun for about half an hour or an hour (you would think I would know since I was looking at a CLOCK/thermometer, but no, I wasn't that observant). And, drumroll please...the temperature was 111 degrees F! (40 degrees Celcius for those of you who live anywhere in the world except the US)...that's hot. It wasn't that hot when I got here a few months ago, if estimating I'd guess it was about 10-15 degrees cooler during the hottest part of the day until the last few weeks...the sun really is something else here...sooooooooooo strong! I've got a pretty nice farmers' tan going on if I do say so myself and it's pretty much just from walking to and from the health center for 15 min. in the morning and the same in the mid-afternoon. Other than that, Will Bain, I am wearing my sunscreen faithfully. It get's down to about 77 degrees F as I'm going to sleep at night these days (used to get down to 68 or so when I first arrived). So, that's enough weather forecasting for today, just thought you might wanna know :)

No comments: