11 January 2009

2009 get's going

So, I'm back home in Bundibugyo. Ashley and Nathan and I drove back in yesterday, a day later than anticipated but TIA, you know? The drive was fine; long as usual but fine. How about a few numbers...(Jennifer loves to count things, not sure if it's the MPH in her but it's starting to rub off on me I think :)

- 1, 2, and 3 - the number of poles in groupings scattered along the early part of the Bundibugyo road driving from Fort to home...poles for what? for power. No lines yet but a few poles are there.
- 4 - the number of birds almost added to my avian road casualty record
- 3- the number of new ipod playlists we listened to along the way (thanks to my dear sister and to all of our newly updated iTunes Genius functions...love it.), and the number of stops made along the way (potty stop at the gas station in Mubende, loading/unloading stop at the Chedesters' just outside Fort Portal, and Fort Portal for fuel and lunch.
- 6 (at least) - the number of Police checks we passed through along the way
- 2 - the number of times I thought I was going to get a speeding ticket
- 0 - the number of speeding tickets I actually got, and also the number of monkeys we saw along the road this trip.
- 1 - the number of near head on collisions with Kalita buses on the road, and the number of times we changed drivers. Nathan made his distance driving debut in heroic fashion taking the wheel after the Karagutu police check and getting us the rest of the way home in one piece.
- boat load - the number of mangoes we got for 1,000 Ush along the Bundibugyo road after I got out of the car and "kody'd" until the boy selling them appeared from the compound down the hill from the lone bowl sitting full by the road.

Now that we're back at home I feel like 2009 is really actually getting underway. Nairobi was wonderful and a fantastic way to start the year, but kind of a time warp feeling...the reality of real life has hit now that we're back home. May this year be one of more clear vision and hearing of God and what He's up to around me.

No comments: