23 January 2009

Nairobi photos

Okay, so these are in no kind of order, really...This is the low rider station wagon Kimberly graciously lent to us for a safari through Nairobi National Park, and me in my stylin' safari hat :) I had no idea I would actually go on safari in it when I bought it....crazy...
Kibera slum, the railroad tracks right through the middle are the main thoroughfare for pedestrians.
Kibera slum...notice the power lines...yes, there is electricity in the largest slum in the world...
Electricity but not so much sanitation...so interesting.
On New Year's Eve after an early toast with champaign we ran outside with pots and pans and spoons and made a racket running up and down the stairs, living up to our loud Americans status
Nathan and Ashley and I on the ice
Ashley, me, Abby and Rachel - Abby and Rachel were two of our 3 gracious hostesses (Karis was in Ireland at the time - returning a few days later)
Holding on for dear life :)
Speed skating in Nairobi
tea plantation
home on the tea plantation owned by British folks who do tours and tasting and lunch
Ashley and Nathan at the lovely lunch in the English Garden at the tea plantation
Can you see the two lionesses?
zebras and ostrich
what's up?!
and then the giraffes...my favorite spotting of the day...




So, those are a lot but hope you enjoy them. I still need to write about my interesting thoughts about Nairobi, don't I...another day...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Heidi! I love the shot of the backside of the giraffe. For some reason, it makes me laugh--it's like he's just happily bopping along the little path. On a more serious note, I'm interested in your reactions to Kibera. I know you've seen some hard things in Bundi and shared those so I'm wondering how this compares.

See you soon,
Love,
H

Anonymous said...

this is SO beautiful. Wow. Thanks for sharing all those photos.

kristine said...

looking at these pics makes me miss kenya! i can't believe you went ice skating in nairobi! did you visit any of the homes in kibera? just wondering if they actually have electricity in every home since the mathare homes were really dark.

glad you got to get away and relax!

Anonymous said...

Was it your idea to do the pot banging on New Years? I remember a similar mode of celebration on Kincaid St., New Years 1990????
m.