04 January 2008

Ladies and Gentlemen...


I am very pleased but very hesitant (beacause I don't actually have a ticket officially confirmed yet) to tell you that I will (God willing) be leaving the USofA on the 26th of this month (January). The rest of the team is back in Bundi or making their way there this month. Ebola, from all appearances, seems to be on it's way out and please pray that it continues to move in that direction.

I'm also very pleased to tell you that I'm going to be traveling with another woman who knows the ropes and is returning to Bundi after being here in the States for several weeks. Her name is Stephanie Jilcott and she has her PhD in nutrition and has been directing the nutritional work in Bundi while she's been there. I believe we'll be traveling with a couple of peanut grinders on our journey. I talked to her on the phone today (the first member of the team I've actually spoken to!) and I'm really excited to meet and travel with her. She was very kind and gave me answers to some of the silly and not so silly questions I've had about this impending journey.

I'm writing from a coffeehouse in Seattle where my dear friend Margaret and I are sitting with our computers and hot beverages and getting things of varying importance accomplished. Since she left St. Louis after becoming a DPT (Doctor of Physical Therapy....so smart she is...) I haven't seen her in a year and a half (it's hard to believe it's been that long), and I wanted to make sure to have the chance to say goodbye to her before leaving the country, so here I am for less than 72 hours, but it's WELL worth it! We have been friends for 10 years now and met on our hall freshman year of college. Here's a few photos from the day including Lake Washington, my very tasty cup of hot cocoa and Swedish Fish to accompany it, Miss Margaret herself enjoying her latte, and the coffeehouse we're sitting in. Take note of the easily read signage displayed telling all of the customers (old AND NEW) what they serve. Meshuggah patrons, this is how it should be done for those of us newbies to feel at home.









No comments: