04 January 2008

Tears

lots of them, every time I watch this scene in the most recent version of Little Women (Susan Sarandon, Winona Rider, Claire Danes, Kirsten Dunst).  I watched it on New Year's Day night and it was just as wonderful as it always is, and I cried even more than usual this time for obvious reasons I think...Beth is dying, Jo is kneeling at her bedside, and Beth smiles and then says: 

"Why does everyone want to go away?  I love being home.  But I don't like being left behind.  Now I'm the one going ahead.  I am not afraid.  I can be brave like you.  But I know I will be homesick for you, even in Heaven." 


2 comments:

Leslie said...

oh, sweet beth. i might just have to avoid watching that (even during winter) for the next 2 years now.

Courtney Patch said...

Ah yes. My favorite winter movie (and book) of all time. And I cry at that very line, every time. And I so love reading about your quick Seattle visit! I have never been, but would love to go. And that is quite a coffee shop. Hope to talk to you and see you very soon:)