31 January 2008

A little more...

Good morning.  I'd just like to say that this is now morning #3 that I'm up by 7am!  There's an hour of internet time from 7-8, so that's been my motivation.

Yesterday Jennifer had  encouraged me to take the morning to pray and read and such, so I did.  Then had lunch with Pat, my housemate, and then we both went down to the clinic for an ART (HIV) clinic meeting in which there was a discussion of how to make it run less chaotically.  Scott proposed a plan and everybody seems to think it will help and I'm excited because it's something that I can actually help with (doesn't require language or cultural know how :) it's "just" organizing about 800 charts or so.  We're going to start this afternoon.  The meeting was actually really exciting to me.  It was really cool to hear the Ugandans thinking through the process of the clinic and what the goals and problems are and what kinds of things might help make things run more smoothly (they all speak english so I could understand most of what was going on).

This morning I'm going with Scott to Bundibugyo town to the hospital there, should be interesting. 

Few quick notes:
1. The neighbors who laughed about my dimples are Topi and Biwa (not Tipo like I said before).
2. Nope, didn't dance at the Myhre's.  I told Jennifer Africa will hopefully change my non-dancing-ness.
3. I'm trying to figure out what to do with my email because everybody uses Entourage/Outlook so that they can do most email stuff offline, but I've got like 5500 emails in my inbox and we don't have the internet capacity for me to download all of that...more soon.


7 comments:

2WeeMonsters said...

So good to hear you're safe and sound and moving towards settled... though I imagine that will take a bit longer :) Maybe for the email stuff can you use a web-based page (can't remember what you use now)? Or would it still overload the system?

Anonymous said...

Hey Heids! What a delight to hear about your first week in Uganda! I've never heard anyone refer to palpating a spleen as "very fun" before. :) You're missing a big snowstorm in St. Louis tonight, which makes me wonder - how warm is it there? Love and prayers, Becca (and Will, too!)

LucasNeece said...

Information request: What are your language goals, if any? So glad to hear that things are off to a good start!

Leslie said...

hey - kev had a good idea. if you emailed me your user name/password for your email - i could go through it and get rid of junk to clean it up and make it easier to download??? let me know if that would help.

Anonymous said...

Dad and I are having lunch together due to clinic closing secondary to snow. Love the dimple connection! We have visions of you dancing with the Ugandans in self forgetful bliss...both hands held high. Please rise early and often so we can be apart of your life there. We love you bunches Heidikins!

Courtney Patch said...

Yes, please continue the early rising:) Love your posts. So happy for you. Will continue to pray for you as you settle into your new home. Miss you!

Carol L. said...

Heidi: I love your blogspot! Can't wait to come back each day and see what you have written. We are praying for you and have been thinking about you a lot--not sure if you got my messages on your cell before your left. Looking forward to seeing those photos. Love, Aunt Carol