08 February 2008

Pictures! My humble abode.












So, here is my home for the next 2 years. I really like it, it feels homey to me and I'm really thankful for that. I'm glad that the uploading of pictures has worked. Yesterday was Luke Myhre's 15th birthday so a bunch of folks went hiking today, but I'm a tad under the weather and evidently it was going to be a lengthy all day hike and I didn't think I wanted to be blowing my nose and sniffling the whole way, so as a result I'm here at home and the internet connection is faster because they're all gone and therefore not online :)

So, let's see. The top two pictures are my room, note the mosquito net tucked in around the mattress (even when I'm not in it so that little critters don't try to make my bed their home). And note the clothes pilled up on a chair in my room, going to Africa doesn't even change my habits of how I keep my room :)

The next picture is the illustrious latrine. You lift up the purplish thing and set it aside and then go in the hole it is currently covering. Note Pat's lovely tiling job on the floor (evidently a project she worked on and almost completed just a day or two before I arrived), I really like it, adds pizzaz to the experience :) Then is the picture of the latrine or "cho" from the outside, and then the view from my back door of the pathway up to the latrine in the background. You can't really tell but there's all kinds of flowers and flowering bushes and such along the way, so it really is quite nice.

Then you kind of have to switch modes and the next picture is actually the front door and the "mud room" where I keep my bike and shoes and so forth.

Then the last 3 pictures are all different parts of one big room which is the living room, dining room, kitchen and office, I like that it's all open. And you may not be able to tell, but this room has sky lights in it, so that there's natural light during the day so you don't have to use any lights. There are actually light switches and lights that opperate on the solar power battery system, I just use them sparingly.

All in all, it's a really nice house that has quickly become my home and I'm really thankful for it.

4 comments:

The Dixons said...

Looks really nice, Heidi! Indeed, very homey. The bugs still get in, though, huh? No screens, I'm guessing. :)

Hope you feel better soon!

2WeeMonsters said...

It looks so comfy! Thanks for posting the pics for us!

Anonymous said...

Wow!!!!!!!!! Thanks for the detail of rounds on the pediatric ward. I have sooooooo many questions....your humble abode is amazing! I love the tile work...Pat must really be quite a person to persevere on such a project. Let's see now when can I come?!
M.

Ron Obvious said...

Beautiful are the feet that bring good news! Praise God you went. Thanks for going and using your skill
in Africa. - D. Holden.