03 February 2008

P.resbyterian C.hurch in A.frica and Bike Riding

Well, what I'm calling the "PCA" (it's not really called that) here is just a little different from the PCA at home, but evidently still on the conservative and less charasmatic end of the church personality spectrum.  Today is Sunday, so there was church this am.  Some congregational and choir singing (the choir dances with each song too!), sermon (preached in english and translated into Lubwisi - the rest of the service is all in Lubwisi), offertory, what seemed like sharing time, prayer, scripture reading, announcements....a lot like Grace and Peace as far as parts of the service included, but still quite different.  The singing included some arm waving and sometimes some noises that you make when you put your hand over your mouth and take it away in quick repitition (while singing).  I had a group of girls sitting around me that pretty much spent the whole service touching and looking at me while talking amongst themselves (I wish I knew what they were saying...or maybe I don't...).  It struck me that this service was much like a congregational conversation...can't really explain that much more, but there you have it for what it's worth.  The funniest thing was that during the last song (what seemed like a doxology of sorts) the woman dressed in the snazziest outfit (what you think of when you think of African women dressing up for church) who seemed to be the choir director, just layed out on one of the benches and went to sleep or something...all the festivities wore her out I guess....I just had visions of Kathleen Thro just kinda passing out on the choir chairs up there during the communion songs...made me chuckle inside.  Oh and I should add that the begining of church this morning marks the time I've been closest to being pretty emotional since I got here - sitting amongst Ugandans and seeing and hearing their testimony to the Faithfulness of our God was something else...

Oh and by the way, bike riding here is for sure a skill I have yet to acquire...there are so many variables I'm not used to...dirt roads (the slip and slide factor), the rocks (oh so bumpy), the unevenness of the dirt, the sometimes foot wide footpaths you ride on (requires dexterity I don't yet really have), the motorcycles coming zooming around corners and up/down the hills, the talking to people along the way (which was super fun to hear as Pat rode ahead of me, people calling after her and the little conversations that ensued as we rode by with lots of "ehhhh"s thrown in...evidently it's kind of an endearing "okay" or "yeah" that they use a lot), the steep hills combined with the dirt proved to be potentially deadly for me, but I held my own for the most part (only one near wipeout).  It reminded me of a period of time in which my brother and I were big into bike riding as kids (Jeff was hard core into BMX bikes for a while) and my parents used to take us to North Park in Pgh. to the BMX bike course to ride on Sunday afternoons...fun times...but I'm looking forward to getting better at the bike riding here.  A thank you shout out to my dear brother (the bike guru of the family) who I put on the "get me a bike" task and he did very well (although I am kinda wishing the shocks had materialized successfully, but oh well, Ugandans don't have shocks on their bikes either!).

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heidikins,
I remember when you first learned to ride a bike on top of the hill on Kincaid......the sidewalk was more like 2.5 feet wide, eh? I am so thankful for this blog....as I said before, rise often and keep the details coming. Love you bunches! Mom

Anonymous said...

As you noted, the shocks could have distanced you from the natives...some of the whisperings might have been about the cushie American with the suspension forks...this way you don't have to wonder what is Lubwisi for "tenderfoot". If the Ugandans can't coax you into lacing up your dancing shoes, my hope will start to wane...but as for now I'm quite hopeful...just know that when I see you next, one of my first questions will be for you to teach me a Ugandan dance...no joke... Maybe something the whole fam can do. It's fun to read your blog. I love you.
J

Dana said...

Heidi,

I was just thinking of you this morning as I was leaving G&P. I was also thinking of you because I was looking at the photo of us changing the outside lightbulb using the stool and all. Sometimes I really miss our life together! I'm so encouraged to hear about all that is going on there (and I fully expect that you will become a dancing queen before the two years are up). I look forward to more. Love, D.

2WeeMonsters said...

Just a note to say that the past 3 nights when asked, "Who do you want to pray for?" the little man has enthusiastically said, "Aunt Heidi!". So you're well covered by all generations as you move through the acculturation process! lot's o' love! -st

kristine said...

hey heidi! your mention of dirt roads reminds me of walking in the mud while i was in kenya. somehow the kenyans didn't get lots of mud stuck to their shoes, but we weren't so lucky! you'll have lots more time to master the dirt roads than we did.

i'm sure they'll turn you into a dancer extraodanaire! dancing is more carefree in africa, and i'm sure someone will take you under her wing! :o)

Phvern said...

so far, you're the most popular blog I've seen...we miss you, but we're very jealous too! What an amazing adventure, serving God and being served by his people.

I've very jealous of the outfits too. Wear bright colors around here and everyone thinks you're weird.

We'll be praying for you.
-veronica