13 August 2008

A few thoughts

Wednesday 13 August

In-need-of-haircut update: One of the nurses yesterday looked at my hair and pushed it behind my ear and said, “ah! your hair is looking so smart.” I can never tell if they’re poking fun or not but I responded by saying “thank you but I really need to get it cut.” She tried to talk me out of it and I told her of my hesitancy to get my hair cut here. She told me that Sister Janet (the only other muzungu working at the hospital who is a nun from Ohio who has been at Rubaga for 14 years) gets her hair cut at the “Divine Saloon” just down the road. I asked Sr. Janet today where she gets her hair cut and she says “there’s a guy down in the bushes down there” and motions in the direction with her arm. I chuckled and she said, “no, really, it’s true.” So my options at the moment are Sparkles at the mall and the guy down in the bushes…the prospects aren’t looking so great.

Laundry: So, I’ve been in desperate need of washing my street clothes and lacking in a good place to wash and hang it, but yesterday after work I broke down and started with my pants. Larissa brought me some twine to construct a clothesline with and so I rigged something up in my room involving the handles of the closet doors on both sides of the room and the handle to the door of the room. It only has so much room on it, so I’ll have to do it all in stages, but at least it’s in process.

Namugongo: I forgot to mention that I had guava and sugar cane for the first time during my trip over the weekend with Sr. Claris. Also an interesting small oily chewy pancake like sweet from India (the name has escaped me).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I bet your hair looks smart...maybe some clips etc. to pull it away from your face.
m.

Anonymous said...

Hi Heidi,
My heart and thoughts are with you there far from home. I am sorry that the costs at the moment are so high--the wedding, the Olympics, the more familiar friends at the mission--But at least (not counting) there are only a few more weeks of this before you will be back at the mission, providing for God's people there, both those whose needs are instantly apparent, and those who need you in a different way.
I am enjoying your blog. Thank you and God bless you. Judy in HMB