04 August 2008

Sounds of the Cathedral

Saturday 2 August 2008

I’ve realized that part of the reason that I can a bit of everything that goes on at the Cathedral from the hospital and my room at the Center is that the Cathedral is mic’d and there are speakers broadcasting the events both at the hospital and the Center. I’m really thankful for it though. It’s one of God’s kindnesses to me here, the speakers aren’t super loud and the choir music I get to hear is a blessing…in most parts of Kampala it would be loud Afro-pop music pumping from the local shops or clubs until all hours of the night, but here on Rubaga hill, it’s the sounds of the Cathedral choir. A couple times now I’ve heard the familiar chorus of “This is my story, this is my song, praising my savior, all the day long” echoing through my window. It’s not always so pleasant, however. This afternoon was the second Saturday in a row I’ve heard the “Here comes the bride” music (and I could have sworn it had words last week…), and the only thing worse than “here comes the bride” is a really bad rendition of “here comes the bride.” This week there were a few brass instruments struggling to connect in rhythm and melody/harmony, but I guess they got the job done, at least I could tell what the song was supposed to be…On Sundays and during Mass at other times during the week I can hear the organ accompanying the usually acapella voices…I mean really, choral and organ music drifting through my window in urban Africa? Who woulda thunk it?!

No comments: