26 September 2008

trying to be a happy wheezer

After 5 1/2 years of working on a pulmonary floor in a children's hospital, treating kids with asthma each and every day, I finally understand the feeling of relief one can have from an MDI. Seems to be I'm a wheezer. Wednesday I had Jennifer listen to my lungs, after little relief from my spasmodic cough after several days. "you're wheezing. have you ever wheezed before?" "not since I was about 12!" I told her. Not since some excersize induced asthma while playing soccer which I've thought since then was just me being a wuss, but I guess not. I started using a salbutamol inhaler (equivalent to albuterol I'm guessing), and almost instantaneously I can tell a difference...I can feel my airways relaxing, my cough gets deeper instead of tighter...it's amazing.

So, yep, I'm still not feeling so great, but am trying to be a happy wheezer. Trying not to do too much but trying to still be a productive member of society. This afternoon I'm going to try to conquer the piles of dishes next to the sink and the laundry waiting to be put away, all things that have been put off and put off throughout the week...I still don't feel like it but no one else is going to do it, so it's gotta be done...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

So sorry about your asthma. I have it, too, and like you, had it recur when I was older (older than you by a decade at least). However, my asthma now is usually brought on by a cold. (I'm thinking about your awful cold a few days ago.) When my sinuses are clear, I get well. Salt lavage is a bother but it works for me. Hope you are completely well soon. Prayers for you. Judy in HMB

Anonymous said...

Ooops. I meant saltwater lavage. Sorry. Judy in HMB

Anonymous said...

Heidi, I'm sorry to hear about the wheezing, but glad to hear that you are getting a little relief. I'm even MORE sorry to have missed your call AGAIN! Miss you. Dana

Travels said...

I'm sorry to hear that you have joined the world of adult asthmatics. I was about your age when mine kicked in. But I have to tell you that the meds make such a miraculous difference in our lives - relief and a relatively normal lifestyle. And that disgusting saltwater thing mentioned earlier makes an enormous difference; I hate it but it works well... Praying for relief and healing, K

Anonymous said...

Heidi!
You sound like a level 3 wheezer!!!Yikes! Bad SLCH humor! Love the pics of little "Joanne"? Funny how we have the same issues half way across the world with identifying the "Joannes" from the "Joes". Haa! She is tooooooo Cute!!!!!! Love the look in her eyes! Hope all is well. Miss and love you bunches-
tall beth and your SLCH fam!