26 December 2008

Boxing Day

is today. And, it's my favorite new holiday...originally I typed "my new favorite holiday" but I think this way is probably more accurate. And it's surely not NEW but it's new to me...it's 26 Dec. and it's traditionally an English holiday (since Uganda was colonized by the British we get to share in the tradition too) in which the Christmas BOX was opened and the contents shared with the poor. I just looked it up...also St. Stephen's Day (the first Christmas martyr)...anyways, I'm very much a fan, because you know what it means practically? A national holiday the day after christmas (ie. people not coming to the door, and the hustle and bustle of the holiday is over, so it's just a great day to do NOTHING!!!!) Ashley and I have been doing just that. We had christmas cookies for breakfast (shh, don't tell my mom) and then dilly dallied a bit here and there and then watched a movie, now an internet break, and then another movie and then a dinner break maybe, and then hopefully another movie...It's so great, you should really look into adopting it. There just aren't days like this EVER around here, so we're enjoying every minute.

And yesterday, it was a great day, too. Fun, worship, reflection, great food, lots of laughs, soccer, a cool breeze and christmas dinner out in the yard, and time with my Bundibugyo family. Thank you God for all of your good gifts.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah yes, Boxing Day! They celebrate it in Canada, too, so perhaps I should at least observe half the day in honor of my heritage, eh? :) By the way, I also had Christmas cookies for breakfast today, which would shock and horrify my mother if she ever found out. Enjoy your movie marathon!!

Love,
Becca

LucasNeece said...

We celebrated last night here in Overland Park with Jacob and his fiancée. We had fondue for boxing day, which is probably not very traditional. And we had christmas crackers, which probably aren't meant for boxing day, but for Christmas Day. Leah was a really good sport and we all wore our paper crowns most of the evening! Glad it reads like you are enjoying the holidays there!

Travels said...

Dear Heidi, Thanks for the gift of your blog and for your honesty. That's a tremendous Xmas gift to us all. Have a blessed New Year.