18 March 2008

A little something about a bike...



I’ve commented more than once about how much I’ve enjoyed the bike that my brother gave me for Christmas. Today I thought I’d tell you a little something about why I’ve enjoyed it so much. I think I’ve never really had a nice bike, and this little green machine is a mighty nice bike. I mean, it’s not a Cadillac, you don’t look at it and go “wow, now that’s a nice bike!” but that’s one of the things I like about it, it’s not show-offy but it gets the job done very well. Some of you are thinking, “come on now, Heidi, enough about the bike!” but just stick with me here for a little while. So, the non-show-offy-ness of the bike is loveable quality number one. Number two is the ease with which you can shift gears, no oomf required that usually makes you overshift and end up in the wrong gear and frustrated, just quick and easy dial turning on the right handlebar, it’s beautiful. Number three is how effective and efficient each gear change is; each change really does make a big difference in the increase/decrease in effort required/yielded with each rotation of the wheel. Loveable quality number four is the seat, a very nice air gel seat that makes for a non-sore-toushy at the end of the day and doesn’t look like a granny seat. Number five is the carrying rack on the back, which I told you about in a previous post so I won’t describe it any further – let me just say, very helpful here. Number six is the looks of it – just a subtly snazzy dark green machine!

Stephanie took the this picture of me and my green machine today crossing the river on the way to Busunga, the same satellite Health Unit we visited when we got stuck in the rain several weeks back. This is the river where there used to be a bridge but the river flooded last fall and washed the bridge away. The other picture is a yota for Jeff in thanks for a great job on the bike. Notice the guy in the background in nice pants and shoes being carried across the river by another guy; that’s one way to make a living.

Right now Stephanie and Karen and Scott and Jennifer are meeting with two of the guys who work with us in the Nutrition programs (Geofrey and Lamech), to try to get their side of the story involving accusations their coworker Pauline has made against Geofrey. Stephanie and I were just talking while huffing and puffing up one of the hills on our way to Busunga this afternoon saying that we really want for none of them to have to go, but for there to be some miraculous resolution to the situation and that everyone will be able to continue on without hostility. But this is one of those situations where short of an intervention of the Holy Spirit we don’t see a way for that to happen. It’s just really sad and really hard to know what’s true and right and just.

**so this just cut and pasted from Word via Firefox but not Safari, hmmm...**

No comments: