22 June 2008

Kampala Whirlwind photos

Kampala streets in the dark - not a great shot, but gives you an idea of how dark it is and the lack of street lights...craziness
Thursday morning view of Kampala from the porch where we stayed overnight.
This is how we started off what would be a long, busy, important, encouraging and disappointing at the same time, day.
The Uganda Nurses and Midwives Council - Jennifer took this around 11:30am as she left to go pursue actually getting something done (and boy did she ever get something done!). I continued to sit for another 3.5 hours...I sat right inside that window on the right edge of the photo...I had no idea at this point what was in store for me in this interview, neither did I know I was going to be there for another 3.5 hours...I probably wouldn't have been smiling...
Yep, this is their mission statement - to protect the Ugandan public from renegade foreign nurses such as myself...
Friday morning we stopped here for a pastry and coffee before heading out of town...I don't know if you've had the experience in other countries of going to such a place and salivating because the delicacies in the case look sooooooo yummy, and you decide to splurge on one and it tastes like cardboard?! Well, this is NOT that kind of place - the delicacies in the cases actually taste as good as they look, it was such a wonderful culinary experience :) I got a sausage roll (piece of sausage wrapped in pastry dough - sooooo good, and protein rich too mom!) and then Jennifer and I split an apple turnover - so moist and delightfully yummy...
The Kampala haze as we headed out of town.
Fast food Ugandan style. Chapati (tortilla looking thing wrapped in a piece of notebook paper), gonja (a banana look-a-like, sweet potato taste-a-like, very yummy), and muchomo (chicken kabob of sorts that was very tastey). And then of course the t.p. stuck in the dashboard for less than ideal potty experiences on the road.
View from the Bundibugyo road as we drove over the mountains back into the district.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the fast food and toilet paper shot. Oddly, I was actually wondering what the toilet paper situation was like. It seems like the Lubwisi do so much with so little that I didn't know if t.p. was a luxury or commonplace. See, I do think about you and wonder about the little things too. Thanks for sharing.

H

Anonymous said...

Love the Mission Statement!
m.