29 June 2008

not just another Sunday

I really enjoyed the church service today, for some reason not understanding what’s going on frustrates me more on certain days and today I was content to understand the bits and pieces I could and to enjoy listening to my neighbors worshipping in their own language, appreciating music sung acapella with drums being the only accompaniment, the scattered glimmers of untrained yet beautifully harmonized voices of the choir every now and again, the clapping that gets the on and off beats in just the right places – every person clapping in their own little rhythm but right on most of the time, even a greeting time which is enjoyable and not painful like it is in the States…and then there was this line, in the middle of the service…Charles Musinguzi was beginning to preach and was welcoming visitors and he said by way of introduction/definition that “This is Bundimulinga New Life Church; our trust is in what Jesus did for us on the Cross.” Holy shoot. It was that simple but for so powerful in that moment – that pretty much sums it up…we can put our trust in nothing else, and the love and faithfulness demonstrated in the Cross is unfathomable. Oh and last but not least there was communion - the first time I've had communion in an African church service (only the second time I've had communion since leaving the states 5 months ago). The bread was biscuits ("bis-kwits" = little dime sized cookie things) and the wine was actually Mirinda Fruity (essentially grape soda). But it was still communion, and it brought tears to my eyes, that Jesus died for the Babwisi and for me, and in His eyes we are equals, we are peers, even if in everyday life, sadly, no one sees it that way.

The sermon was on the first 13 verses of Acts 2 – the story of Pentecost. “…and they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues as the Spirit gave them utterance…’we hear them telling in our own tongues the mighty works of God.’ And all were amazed…” It was ironic to read this passage after Charles asked that we all stand and sing one more “hymn” before the sermon, another song in Rtoro, the language of the tribe from the other side of the mountains, a place where people are more educated, where there are more resources, where there’s electrical power, etc. My TRUST is only in what Jesus did for us on the Cross, and my HOPE is that as His Kingdom comes here as a result of what He did on the Cross, that the Babwisi and Bakonjo hear more and more of the mighty works of God in their own tongues. That the Holy Spirit would fill the hearts and minds of people here - that they would write more songs about these mighty works in Lubwisi and Lukonjo and sing them in church, that people would develop a vocabulary in their own language (not just in Rtoro) for expressing things of the heart and of the soul. And it might just take an act of the Holy Spirit like Pentecost to help me speak Lubwisi, but I’m open to that ☺

2 comments:

Travels said...

Thinking about, praying for, excited for, and curious with you... And I just plain old love tonic water, I also love limes and gin's not bad so -- yeah bring on the gin and tonic! Except it costs me 3 Weight Watchers points and do I really want to spend half my supper count that way? KW

Anonymous said...

hi again,

It is me Cheryl, from SLCH, I just love reading your blog, the cultural aspects are sooooo facinating. Will be going to Mex. this week and notice the culural implications profoundly. A few years ago in Honduras I only understood a few words of the service "Christo" and "gringo " LOL but I love the service completely. In fact the priest is my favorite priest in the world.

I am so grateful that you are in Africa spreading the Word and providing health care. I admire you.

HUGS,

Cheryl